Each year IAST invites applications for post-doctoral Research Fellowships, which offer candidates an opportunity to devote themselves full time to their research at the start of their careers. Fellows are provided with office space, computer facilities and a contract for two years, renewable for a third year.
We welcome applications from researchers within a large range of disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences: anthropology, evolutionary biology, economics, history, law, mathematics, philosophy, political science, psychology and sociology. Motivated applications from outside these disciplines will also be given full consideration.
We seek candidates with a strong research background in their own discipline, but open to engage in interdisciplinary scientific activities. Successful applicants will have to demonstrate an interest in, and a commitment to, at least one of the other disciplines of IAST.
All research interests relevant to the broad study of human behavior are welcome, but interests that complement and/or enhance those already developed at IAST---in particular (but not only) those in line with one of the Research Teams---will be given special consideration.
These interests include, to cite only a few:
• In history: quantitative economic history (cliometrics), empirical political economy in history, qualitative economic or social history.
• In evolutionary biology: theoretical models of evolution (applied to family structure, strategic interactions, plasticity, cognition, learning, cultural evolution); and related empirical work.
• In anthropology: cooperation and conflict; life history theory, human development and plasticity, health and infectious disease, aging, demography, diet and nutrition, global health, evolutionary medicine and genetics.
• In political science: public opinion and public policies, political economy, political institutions, development, experimental political science, studies of networks and their impact on individual and collective action.
• In law: law and economics, corporate governance, criminology.
• In psychology: AI ethics, cumulative culture, human-machine cooperation, machine behavior, moral character, moral dilemmas, social credit, social learning, social preferences.
• In sociology: network formation, the impact of networks on social outcomes, sociology of religion.
What do we expect from our Research Fellows?
IAST is an institution that fosters communication between disciplines and interdisciplinary research. Being exposed to presentations and participating in discussions are key components of the process. Research Fellows are therefore expected to attend seminars and institutional social events, as well as the annual retreat.
Who is eligible?
Eligible applicants for 2024 must be active researchers who have or will have completed their PhD after December 2020 and before September 2024 (if between Oct - Dec 2024, the start of the fellowship will be postponed accordingly).
Motivated applications will be considered from candidates whose PhDs were completed in 2020 or earlier; if applicable, please explain your reasons in your cover letter.
Researchers who are either tenure-track or tenured at their present institution and who have an upcoming sabbatical should apply for the visitor fellowship, not for this research fellowship.
IAST supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups, and citizens of all countries.
How do I apply?
To apply for a Research Fellowship, please send your application by clicking on the link below:
APPLICATIONS CLOSED (15th November 2023)
Each application should include (only in English):
- Cover Letter - not to exceed 2 pages (single spaced). This should include a statement addressing current and future plans for research.
- At least 2 writing samples (e.g. published peer-reviewed journal articles, working papers, book chapters)
- Contact information (i.e. name, title, email) of at least 3 references willing to provide a letter on your behalf. Note that your references will automatically receive an email notification from IAST once you submit your application (please ask them to check their spam folders just in case). The deadline for submitting recommendation letters is 30th November
NOTE: Initial recruitment committee decisions will not be made until end February 2024.